Saturday, October 8, 2011

Kinky-Curly Knot Today and Curling Custard Early Review

There are a handful of curly hair care product brands that I see mentioned over and over again in the cyber curly hair care circles.  Kinky-Curly is one of them.  After a year of consideration I finally ordered two Kinky-Curly products, Knot Today and Curling Custard.  What held me back all these months?  Several things.  

First, I have to order online and had a hard time finding a site with reasonable prices that would ship to my location.  

Second, I'd read on hair care forums that there is a very particular method of application for Kinky-Curly products.  They don't mix well with other products and have to be applied to dripping wet hair.  

Third, we wash my girl's hair once a week in the evening.  I won't put her to bed with soaking wet hair so I wouldn't be able to use the product properly at all.  

This summer it seemed our tried and true products weren't giving us the same results anymore and I decided to bite the bullet and order the Kinky-Curly line.  I'm not sorry. Here's how it went for our first trial.  

We washed the hair, applied Knot Today to dripping wet hair and detangled.  Here are our detangling tools used in order from left to right.  
Here's the hair after application of Knot Today.  We didn't rinse it out.
After the hair was detangled we added the Curling Custard loosely following the Tightly Curly method and shook the hair out.
Here it is after it had been drying awhile.
She slept with a bonnet on (more to come on the sleep bonnet) and the next morning I just spritzed the hair with water and pulled the smashed curls apart a bit with my fingers.  The Curling Custard has great hold but allows the hair to shrink up.  The hold lasted all day, even through 3 hours of rubbing on a car seat, a nap, and a few minutes of rolling around on the floor with cousins.
Next time I use it I will wash and condition with our favorite Aubrey Organics shampoo and rinse out conditioner, THEN use the Knot Today as a detangler and leave-in conditioner.  I need to use these products for a few weeks to determine if they are adequate for keeping the girl's hair moisturized.  But so far, I like the Kinky-Curly line.

Happy long weekend!
Jenny

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! We found the whole Kinky-Curly line at Target today. We're going to try it next weekend.

    ReplyDelete