Monday, February 28, 2011

Ethiopian Hairstyles

I had an idea during our recent trip to Ethiopia. I'd take photos of all kinds of hair styles while there and save them as a sort of catalogue to choose from in styling the girl's hair as she gets older. Ethiopian hair is gorgeous, and a lot more diverse than I had previously realized. I did notice some straightened hair on women, but mostly it seemed Ethiopian women where we were wear their natural hair pulled back or braided to the back of the head with the back either being pulled into a pony tail or left loose. I saw loads of very intricate cornrows and braids. I just didn't have the nerve to approach everyone I wanted to and ask to take their pictures. I did get a few, and here they are.

The next three photos I took of a sibling set of girls who had just been adopted, and had their hair braided at a salon. They were adorable! The first sister has a middle part from forehead to nape, on each side of the part her hair was braided into cornrows leading to a ponytail on the left and one on the right.



This second sister (below) has rolling twists from forehead to nape ending in two puff ponies at the nape of her neck. She also has a headband around her hairline. I love this style! Looks like she has type 4 hair, while her sister has type 3 hair. Their new mom is going to have a lot of fun!


This is straightened hair that has been colored black. It is simply pulled back and held in place with a head band.


Here's one of the intricate designs I was talking about. Wow wow wow. I saw plenty of styles like this and wish I had more photos. Amazing!


Finally, these are micro braids, a little on the large side, with colored extensions braided in. I don't know if you can tell but Fasika's lips look like they've been tatooed. Fasika is a beautiful woman - we met her at the guest house we stayed at.
I know a few of my readers have been to Ethiopia too. What did you guys think of the hairstyles you saw?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing those! I especially love the second from the last hairstyle...beautiful! I hope to one day have the skill (and some hair length to work with) to pull something like that off.

    ReplyDelete