Saturday, February 5, 2011

Organic Coconut Cream...or...Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose?

A few weeks ago I tried a sample packet of a Darcy's Botanicals product, NEW Curling Gel Cream. It was so new it wasn't even listed on their website yet. Now it is, as NEW Curling Cream Gel. (slight name re-ordering)

When I tried out the new product, I got very similar results to their Natural Coils Curling Jelly. So I thought I'd compare the two. Darcy's has a very cool feature on their site that allows you to compare products. Click here to see these two products' details listed side by side.

I got a bit of a shock when I read the ingredients list for the Curling Cream Gel. After water, and before you get to the cool sounding organic wildflower honey-type ingredients you've got quite a few daunting words like hydroxypropyl methylcellulose. WHAT? I looked them all up - they turn out to be ingredients that blend the oils and water, or thicken the product, or smooth the texture. Okay. But the Curling Jelly works just as well on my girl's hair and its ingredients list looks a lot more friendly to total amateurs and non-chemists like me.

If I had a choice between putting organic coconut cream or hydroxypropyl methylcellulose in my girl's hair, well, guess which one I'd choose? Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment